Monday, May 2, 2011

On Becoming Babywise? (Part 1)

My Dilemma:




I consider myself to be a very organized person.  As many of you moms may know (and those of you who are not moms yet will soon find out) that having a baby can throw all of your organization out of the window.  The first few weeks after bringing Ezaias home was just pure chaos - I was like a zombie, I didn't know what was coming next, I had breastfeeding challenges and I had to deal with all the new mommy emotions and frustrations. 

Also in recent weeks, Ezaias has been sleeping in our bed and would be fussy almost every night around 2 am.  His fussiness would sometimes last an hour and NOTHING would calm him down. He would just stop crying and fall asleep when he was good and ready.

We needed to do something!

My Solution:




When he was nearing 2 months, I decided that I needed to get him on some sort of schedule, so that I could plan my day better and so that he would have some sort of routine to follow. Coincidentally, a friend of mine had told me that she had read "On Becoming Babywise" and has had success with her 4 month old. I was so curious about this book, so I researched it online.

What I Found:

I must admit that I came across so many negative reviews and comments on the Babywise theory, but I also came across positive ones. However, I dont make any judgement on anything unless I have tried it myself. I also came across Chronicles of a Baby Wise Mom which offers lots of support for people who want to become "Baby Wise".  

What intrigued me the most about the Baby Wise theory is that:
  • It is based on a schedule/routine.
  • Many people who used this method had babies sleeping through the night very early on (i.e. from 2 - 4 months old).
So, I decided to read the book and implemented it into our lives last week.  So we are on day 6 of becoming Baby Wise.  Let me also add that with all of the research I've done, I've used some pointers from "On Becoming Baby Wise" and from other sources.  The key to reading books of this nature is to take from it what you can and use your common sense and judgement.


So What Is The Babywise Theory Exactly?


Have you tried Babywise or anything similar? What was your experience? Would you recommend it to others?

3 comments:

  1. Ummm.... What is the technique? Details woman! DETAILS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dani @ OK, Dani LOL!!! U re so silly! Its not really a technique -- well I guess maybe it is. But essentially its a feed time - wake time - sleep time routine that you follow through out the day on a 2 and a half to 3 hour schedule. Most likely I will have more details in my next post about it, but you can email/FB me for more info if you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the next post! I've always thought that Babywise sounds reasonable as a concept, but have only heard from the people who hated it. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Every bit of advice and input is helpful - trust me! :) I may not always have a chance to respond to every single comment, but I do read them all!